The monument was inaugurated in 1958 to celebrate the independence of Cambodia from foreign rule.
Renowned Cambodian architect Vann Molyvann was the architect of the monument which is patterned on a lotus flower bud, adorned with Naga heads (multi-headed cobras) and obviously reminiscent in design of the towers of Angkor Wat. The Independence Monument now also serves as a monument to the end of Cambodia’s war as well as her independence. The Independence Monument sits in the center of the traffic circle at the intersection of Norodom Blvd and Sihanouk Blvd and is the site of colorful celebrations and services on political holidays such as Independence Day (January 7) and Constitution Day (September 24).
Address : Intersection Blvd Norodom - Blvd Sihanouk
2.6 km from Wat Phnom